Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Than race day part 4

   
I felt good, my legs seamed to be well rested. Since we still needed to set up our stuff (race food, #plates on bikes, lights ready, explain to our crew our secrets...etc) , Kris and I arrive early that day to our pits. Before we could say "jackhammer", it was time to get suited up, apply the Dr. Naylors udder balm to the chamois area to prevent any chafing, which could be a disaster, apply the nuun tattoos, and to the start line. At the start line the announcer introduced all the solo racer's by name and country representing. I think that this adds a nice touch to the event. There was a Le Mans start, while I left my Raleigh XXIX at the pit we had to complete a 500 yrd run before jumping onto our bikes to complete the 10 mile course. The course is tough, super tough, hands down the toughest yet. There is roots, roots, and more roots. This course required much upper body strength, this is were the coined word "Jackhammer" was derived. To be quit honest it tore me apart mentally. I hung in there with last years leader Greg Martin for a couple laps but he was just on fire and I just couldn't maintain that pace in the virtual root forest. Greg is a Firefighter from Ketchum, Idaho, so his upper body strength was there! He also has a blog check it Greg Martin

Here is a post from Roy Wallack 14 hundred or so hours into the race: 

BEN FRANKLIN: "GEARS ARE PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY"
Vic Armijo
Okay, so that's not quite the quote attributed to dear old Mr. Franklin...he's reputed to have said "beer," not   "gears." But your roving reporter wouldn't even think of riding this course without a full range of gears and his "easy button."   But there are four riders out there right now in the darkness who have only one gear. No, they didn't bash their derailleurs on the rocks and roots. Nope, these guys didn't have any to begin with. They called "singlespeeders." 

Perhaps one day medical science will find a cure for these truly sick individuals. Until then the 24 Hours of Adrenalin crew will continue to provide these guys with a means of dealing with their maladies.

SINGLESPEED STANDINGS
1. Greg Martin, (USA) 13 laps, 14:47:46
2. Brenden Den, (AUS) 11 laps, 13:32:54
3. Dereck Fish (EARTH) 10 laps, 14:03:19
4. Matt Koerber (AUS) 8 laps, 12:17:22    

I like the fact that i am from (EARTH) funny shit!

I was up, I was down, I just couldn't get into a rhythm. Greg pulled away further and further and ended up winning again. Good job Greg Martin.  Over all I ended up finishing 3rd in a super strong field  of 4. 

Although the past two years attending this event I had fun and meet many great people, I will not be back next year to race in this super expensive 24 Hours of Adrenaline race. The organizer of event Stuart Dorland chose to have it next year in Australia, which is awesome! I would love to see OZ. 


Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment